Letitia Long, Director of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), sat down with CNN’s Security Clearance Blog detailing NGA’s roles in national security and humanitarian missions and what it’s like to be the first female director of a major intelligence agency.
Though often overlooked and under-appreciated amongst those who do not fully understand the value geospatial intelligence provides US decision makers, Director Long recounts the mapping and surveillance of bin Laden’s Pakistani compound as one of NGA’s latest successes.
While certainly playing an increasingly important role in the Intelligence Community, the core mission of the agency is nothing new. In fact, the history of NGA has demonstrated a successful evolution and adaption to the technological and informational needs of its consumers. It came about by, “combining America’s most advanced imagery and geospatial assets within the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) in 1996...a much-needed critical mass of skills and technologies under a single mission umbrella.”[i]
We encourage you to learn more about NGA, its mission, the role of GEOINT in bringing down Osama Bin Laden, and to read the interview with Director Long.
- NGA Home: https://www1.nga.mil/Pages/default.aspx
- NGA Quick History: https://www1.nga.mil/About/Pages/History.aspx
- The Advent of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency: https://www1.nga.mil/About/Documents/04a_History.pdf
- CNN Interview: http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/09/eye-in-the-sky-the-case-file-on-nga-director-letitia-long/
The Lint Center Team
***NOTICE: The information included in this post is from open-source media outlets and documents. It is intended for informational purposes and to encourage individuals to learn more about exciting employment opportunities within the U.S. Government.***
- Kelly, Suzanne and Benson, Pam “Eye in the Sky: The Case File on NGA Director Letitia Long, CNN Security Clearance Blog, March 12, 2012, Accesses on March 12, 2012, http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/09/eye-in-the-sky-the-case-file-on-nga-director-letitia-long/
- Official Website, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, “History”, Accessed on March 12, 2012, https://www1.nga.mil/About/Pages/History.aspx